David Morales 809
Am I Blue? by Bruce Coville.
In the short story Vince is trying to figure himself out. He is not sure if he is gay or not. It all starts when Butch Carrigan decided to bully him. A fairy godfather comes to him to help him out and find the right path for him so he can get his priorities straight. An example of this is when Vince meets his fairy godfather and describes him as”kind of handsome-almost pretty”. I thought it was worth mentioning this because handsome usually describes a boy while pretty describes a girl. I thought this meant he wasn’t sure if he was looking for a girl or a man.
Another example is when Vince realizes he is slightly tinted blue. Blue means that you are gay or had a gay experience. He asked Melvin (his fairy godfather) what this meant. Melvin told Vince that it meant that he was still trying to figure himself out. Melvin described him as a confused puppy. This meant that he was still trying to figure himself out and it would come to him in a while.
Another example that happens at the very last story is when Vince says “and my third wish? I’ve decided to save it for when I really need it-maybe when I meet the girl of my dreams Or Prince Charming. Whichever.” I thought that this was important to include because it shows that he has not figured himself out. He is still wondering if he is gay or not and that is why he is waiting for the right person to come into his life, either Prince Charming or the girl of his dreams.
A way this can connect to the world is that a lot of people do things because they are trying to figure themselves out. Sometimes people will do weird and strange things in order for them to figure themselves out. I think this means that we shouldn't judge people because they might be going through a complicated phase in their lives and they are confused about who they are. This has taught me that i shouldn't judge people because they might appear weird or different on the outside but i don't know if anything complicated is going on their lives. I think that a lot of people can learn from this short story if they read it.
David I agree with you because some people may have a hard time to figure them selves out. when this happens people may think they're something that they're not. I also agree with you on how people shouldn't judge another without knowing there story. this also relates the the quote "don't judge a book by its cover" this relates on how people judge to quickly great job though.
ReplyDelete