Tuesday, January 22, 2013
reading response
I have just finished reading the book “Mockingjay” by Suzanne Collins. It is the third and final book of the hunger games trilogy. She doesn't want to become the mocking jay but eventually agrees but with a compromise. She then goes around boosting morale in the districts. She then goes to the capitol with a group of people. Things go wrong and people end up dead such as Finnick. She then kills president coin because she might have been involved in her sisters death.
One thing that I noticed is how Katniss receives help from others such as gale. Other times however she doesn't want help. I think that the author is trying to say that it is ok to receive help from others instead of being independent. If Katniss had not received help from those people then she wouldn't have been able to accomplish them. One point of this is when Katniss is taking the test to see if she can go into combat her “commander” tells her to dive she does. If she hadn't she would have been destroyed by the blast but instead she let her commander do it. One other example is when Katniss and her group are trying to get away from the mutant dogs and a lot of her soldiers stay behind and sacrifice themselves. If they hadn't stayed behind she would have been killed too.
I think that this could apply to everyone. I sometimes have to much pride. I would rather do something on my own before asking for help from someone else. I don’t thing it is a sign of weakness if you ask help from someone. If you cant do something on your own you could get help from a person and it will improve you. For example if you cont draw and you let someone teach/help you it could help you realize what makes your drawings look weird. Another thing is that if someone helps you the job will get done faster and might come out looking better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
david, i think you are absolutely right. i would do the same thing. but thats just human nature to want to be self-suffient and independent. great job
ReplyDeleteI also noticed this flaw in Katniss, sometimes she wants help, other times she tries on her own and fails. This might be her lack of a mentor or someone to confide in other than her sister.
ReplyDeleteShe also doesn't acknoledge peoples help and is quite rude. She believes that she is the only one who could be the "mocking jay" when really anyone who did what she did could be. She thinks about her own family constantly, and no one elses. Even after the hospital exploded, she didn't think she was motivating people.
I agree with you David she has many different characteristics because in the hunger games she said that she loved PETA but in the end she wasn't as sure. Good blog post and having help once on a while isn't bad. But some people believe that they can do everything by themselves
ReplyDeleteDavid although I already finished this series, I still do not appreciate the spoiler that you provided in your retell. I agree with the statement that you made on how getting someone to help you is not a sign of weakness. Where would we be without someone helping us along the way. That's why we have parents and teachers and friends. Despite the spoiler, it was a great post.
ReplyDelete