Tuesday, January 15, 2013
non fiction reading response
The article “Cuomo Signs Gun Legislation Into Law" by Thomas Kaplan he talks about the legislative session that was held. They passed/approved a package on gun measures. It was passed after 5 hours of debate on a 104 to 43 votes. It would ban semi automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns with detachable magazines. People who had them would have to register them to the state. The author wants us to know what was passed in the session and what it banned. He also wanted to explain the process of getting weapons and ammunition.
I think the author wants us to feel that this was the right thing to do. He gave a lot of backup evidence that supported this. He quoted mayor Bloomberg when he said it “protects the second amendment rights of people, and at the same time it makes all new Yorkers safer.” He also said, “it fills in loopholes, and it expands it, as the society’s needs have changed, and the dangers have changed to all of us.” He has given many more examples explaining why it was the right thing to do.
I think that this was the right thing to do. If we did not take any actions towards having restrictions it could result in something like what happened in the Connecticut elementary school. It was smart because not anyone will be able to buy gun whenever they wanted and it would be reported when someone but a lot of ammunition. I will also feel safer knowing that not anyone can get a gun anymore. One issue a thought of was that they are aware that there are technical; issues in the package and they will fix them. While they fix it they can change what the package is actually supposed to do.
Thomas. "Kaplan." Cuomo Signs Gun Legislation Into Law january 15,2013: 1-2.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've been semi-following this new story (via NY1) and I had no idea that a major deal had been signed. I agree with you. People should be allowed weapons to hunt/protect their property, but do they need to shoot a deer 33 times per second? I also think that the shootings in Newtown and Aurora kick-started this package quite a bit.
ReplyDelete-drat